A very simple Cutlet that you'll enjoy
What you’ll need – (Makes 4 big Kebabs or 8 mini kebabs)
1. Spinach – a bunch (around 25 leaves or more) [It may seem like a lot of quantity to make 4 kebabs. But when you blanch them, they reduce to 1/4 th of their size!]
2. Potato – 1 large or 2 medium
3. Peas – ½ cup boiled (I didn’t have peas so I skipped)
4. Salt – as per your taste (around 1.5 teaspoons)
5. Green Chilis – (optional) 2 – roughly chopped
6. Fresh coriander / cilantro leaves – a handful (around 4 tablespoons)
7. Mint Leaves / Pudina – 2-3 tablespoons (I just had different edible green leaves at home so I decided to use them. And they gave an amazing flavour!)
8. Ginger Garlic paste – 2 teaspoon (optional)
9. Bread Crumbs – to coat the kebabs (about ½ cup) [[ if you don’t have bread crumbs, you could use Semolina / Rava or even Cornflour ]]
10. Red Chili Powder – 1 teaspoon
11. Chaat Masala or Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon12. Oil – 1 teaspoon per kebab for shallow fry. (Alternatively, you can deep fry)
13. Tofu / Cottage Cheese (Paneer) - 50 grams
How to proceed -
I. To make the stuffing
1. Boil, peel & mash the potatoes. I boiled them in microwave. It just took 6 minutes! :-)
2. BLANCHING THE SPINACH – To blanch the spinach, you must –
- Wash the spinach leaves well
- Add them to water (enough to cover the leaves) and let it boil. (Takes about 5 minutes if the water isn't pre-heated)
- As soon as the water comes to a boil, filter out the water & transfer the leaves to ice cold water for 1-2 minutes
3. In a mixer/grinder/food processor/blender, add the ginger paste, garlic, chilis, mint & coriander leaves.
4. Grind them to a coarse paste.
5. Then squeeze the water out of the spinach and add the blanched leaves to the blender.
6. Blend/Grind well for 1 minute to get a smooth paste. Then transfer to a mixing bowl.
7. Add the boiled potatoes & mix. If using tofu or cottage cheese (paneer), mash & mix in this step.
8. Then goes the salt, red chili powder, chaat masala (or any other spice you like). Mix well. Your mixture for the Kebab is now ready! :-)
To make the Kebab
1. Take some mixture in your hand & give it a round shape.
2. Gently press the ball vertically to flatten it into a disk shape
3. You can then coat the kebab with bread crumbs.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil on a pan & add the kebabs
5. Cook on medium flame. After about 3 minutes, flip to the other side & cook for another 3 minutes! Your kebab is ready
6. To plate up, take some hot rice on a plate, arrange the hot kebabs on the rice & serve it as a Sizzler!